Monday, August 19, 2013

Session 3 - Dice

Dr Yeap showed us two die today. He put them together and was able to guess the sum of the numbers that was covered. We discussed ways to how we could manage to do that too. Honestly, I find it difficult to imagine where the number should be to guess the unknown numbers. Up till now, I still do not understand fully how it is done.

However, I did learn something new: subitize, which means I could look at the dice and tell how many dots are there without counting. Turns out that what I always thought as using symbols to represent the value of numbers actually has another word and another meaning to it. There is more than meets the eye. It is not just a bunch of pictures or dots that are there to show children the value of numbers.

This video below gives an example of an activity to do with children on subitizing. I think it is a good activity but I would prefer to use one coloured dot stickers instead of different coloured dot stickers as suggested by the person who made the video. I think one coloured is easier and does not overwhelm children. If different coloured dot stickers are used, then children will be counting instead of subitizing, which defeats the purpose.



So, what do you think? One coloured or different coloured dot stickers?

No comments:

Post a Comment